Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ritter Sport Fine Extra Dark Chocolate

Produced by: Alfred Ritter GMBH & Co
Cocoa content: 71%
Manufacturer website
Rating: B+

I've been familiar with Ritter Sport mainly from their various filled milk chocolate bars. It wasn't until recently that I discovered they also make dark chocolates. I've had some good experience with Ritter Sport's milk chocolates, so I was curious to give the dark chocolate a try.

The Ritter Sport Fine Extra Dark Chocolate has a rich, deep chocolate flavor. There are some roasted notes and very slight bitterness. I can also detect a faint hint of citrus, although there is little acidity to note. This chocolate does seem to taste sweeter than I would expect from a chocolate with a 71% cocoa content. Chewing the chocolate bar brings a sweet coconut flavor to the forefront.

The Ritter Sport has a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. There is a moderate-length finish that is creamy and chocolaty. The Ritter Sport is a bit of a one-trick pony, but it does that trick rather well. This has a straight-ahead chocolate flavor that anyone who has ever snacked on a handful of chocolate chips can appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment