Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Scharffen Berger 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate

Manufacturer: Scharffen Berger
Cocoa Content: 70%
Manufacturer Website
Rating: A+

The Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet chocolate was really the first chocolate that opened my eyes to the potential that fine chocolate has to rival wine, scotch and beer in flavor and complexity. I've had many good dark chocolates before, but the first time I tried the Scharffen Berger Bittersweet I was truly amazed.

The Scharffen Berger 70% chocolate bar has a firm, clean snap to it. It is a deep dark brown with the faintest hint of red. There are roasted notes, a citrus acidity and dark chocolate bitterness all present on the palate in perfect balance. Vanilla and almond flavors develop along with a hint of salt as the bar melts on the tongue. Chewing the bar releases more aromatic flavors like cherry and vanilla. As the Scharffen Berger Bittersweet 70% melts on the tongue it has a smooth velvet mouthfeel that coats the tongue pleasantly. The finish lingers with sweet fruit and roasted flavors accompanying the rich chocolate flavors.

To date, the Scharffen Berger 70% Cacao is my favorite chocolate. It has all the flavor components I look for in good chocolate, and in perfect balance. This is a must-try for all my fellow cacao-heads out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment